|||BE HOME SOON|||

Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

How to Clean an Antler for a More Modern Look




Antlers are such a fun and easy accessory to throw on top of some books or a nightstand.  They make it look a little more styled without being cluttered.  And although "au natural" antlers are amazing, I prefer brighter look.

Obviously, you can get fake antlers that will stay bright forever. Which is a nicer/more humane solution. That being said, for all of those who are sporting the real deal in your home, this super simple trick is for you.



Supplies:
An antler of your choice
Bleach
Water
A bowl or Sink



Pour equal parts of water and bleach into a sink or bowl.  I used a bowl because I didn't have a lot of bleach left.  I go through that stuff hard core.



Place the antler in the bowl.  If the antler isn't fully immersed, that is completely fine.  Just know that you will have to rotate it.  I waited about 30 minutes for each end.  The time also depends on how dirty (it takes off everything!) your antler is. I have already bleached this particular antler about 3 years ago, so it was more yellow than legit dirty.  


 Let it dry thoroughly. 



Bam! You are done. Style it! How easy, but oh so satisfying is this?! Wait, I'll do one more.


Ohh yeahhh! I didn't photoshop the image above, just so you can really see the difference.  


Part of me wonders if this is something that hunters/taxidermists have known forever?  I mean I am none of the above, so I could've easily missed this boat on this.  Whatever the case, it does the job! 





No comments:

Post a Comment